Monday, August 1, 2011

Life, Color, Passion


The saying is true: 'a picture is worth a thousand words.' It's amazing how much emotion and story can leak through a photo, a drawing, or in this case a painting. It takes a lot of talent to connect art and emotion and not everyone can do it. A lot of artists tell a story with their art, but not all are able to evoke strong emotions. 

I found these watercolor paintings, by Marion Bolognesi while flipping through the internet today. I was amazed at how much emotion these simple, yet detailed paintings contain. 

What can you see in them?
I see a little boy - crying, hungry, and asking for help. I can even see the words in his eyes. 
I see a woman - struggling to get through a tough time, but she has hope in her eyes. She's a fighter.
I see a fierce woman with a lot of anger, determination, and strength.

I see a young boy who is looking at death, and starvation. This reminds me of someone who has given up, his eyes show no hope.

There is so much you can do with a simple color, the drip of the paint or even a shadow. I'm going to challenge myself this week to paint something with real emotion behind it, I challenge you to do the same. 

Check back next week and I'll show you one of my creations. If you share your work with us, we'll post it up on our blog, retweet it or like it on Facebook, so get going!


*Images originally found on koikoikoi.com
This post also up on Stokefire

No comments:

Post a Comment