Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pet Peeve, or a Fact of Life?




So I'm sure you've all seen this before. The dreaded Hovering art director. Stokefire's fabulous Lena Blackstock sent this around the office about a month ago, and I started thinking about it again. 

I have a thing about people behind me. I don't like to sit with my back facing the room, and when I do, you can find me turning around every 5 minutes. So what happens when I have hovering "art directors?" I cringe, I fidget, I turn to my side, and I can't look straight at the screen. It doesn't help that I like to look at the people talking to me (which I don't think is actually a bad thing). I can handle one, maybe two, but any more than two it's turned into an audience. Plain and simple, I get creeped out.

So what do I do now?

Stokefire's Chief Creative just named me the Art Director. Will I become the dreaded "hovering art director?" There is a fine line between directing and telling. Will I be that one person that every designer dreads, the person that says "click there," "do this," "do that." I can tell you one thing, I'd rather direct, but I suppose only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment